Friday, January 21, 2011

"Insert Town Name Here" Clam Chowder

Yummy!  I am in love with seafood and soups.  I always remember mom making soup when we were growing up and then I was addicted to chowder in bread bowls when I moved to Nashville.  Everytime I make clam chowder, I never use the same recipe but so far, they have been pretty good.  This is the basic recipe and you can make it as unhealthy or healthy as you would like. 

2 cans of clams
2 cups of shrimp (small kind you find in the frozen section at Walmart)
2 cups of cubed potatoes ( I love to use red potatoes but you can also use the brown ones)
1 cup of diced onions
1 cup of diced carrots
1/4 cup butter
4 tablespoons of flour
2 cup Half and Half
2 cup Milk
Salt, pepper, garlic, oregano, parsley and some cajun seasoning to taste

Drain juice from the canned clams into a pan and add onions, carrots, potatoes, pepper, oregano, garlic and cajun seasoning.  Cook until tender.

In another pan melt butter.  Add flour and use a whisk to mix together.  Make sure the flour is whisked together so at the end, you are chewing on balls of flour...I know....gross!

 Then add half and half and veggies from skillet.  Simmer stirring occasionally for about 20 minutes.  Add clams and shrimp and cook another 10 minutes.  Add more pepper or spices.  Serve with oyster crackers or toasted french bread.  YUM!

Like I said, I have done many variations of this.  I have used half milk and half cream and then have used all milk and then a can of cream of mushroom soup which was pretty good.  Have fun experimenting!

No comments:

Post a Comment