Friday, January 21, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie!

Well I have never made Chicken Pot Pie from scratch but I recently got married 4 months ago and my husband LOVES chicken pot pie.  I wanted to surprise him one night after he got back from class so I tried to find a good recipe.  I, like so many other people, are HUGE fans of The Pioneer Woman so I found her crust recipe and then put about 4 recipes for the "pot pie" part.  So here we go!


The crust recipe:


1 AND 1/2 cup of Crisco
3 Cups floud
1 Egg
5 Tablespoons cold water
1 Tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon salt


With a pastry cutter, cut into flour the Crisco.  I have LOVED doing this ever since I found a pastry cutter because before then, I was getting carpel tunnel trying to use 2 forks.  Continue to mix until it looks like coarse crumbs.  Add an egg, the water, vinegar and the salt and mix together.  ( I cheated and used a mixer).


Then divide the dough in half.  (The original recipe says to divide it into thirds but I like a lot of crust so I used it all).  Put it into the refrigerator for about 15 minutes to thaw.  Go rest your feet, your pretty hands, and write a blog.  Now remove the dough and lay it on a floured surface.  Roll it using grandmother's rolling pin until it is a circle.  Ok, mine NEVER looks like a circle so I pound it, roll it, cut and paste it until it looks like a semi-circle.  Using one end of the dough, carefully start rolling it onto the rolling pin until it is wrapped around the rolling pin like a burrito.  Then pick it up and carefully place it into your deep dish pie pan.   Crimp around the sides to form a pretty pie crust design.  Now you are ready for the filling.




Chicken Pot Pie Filling


Boil about 3 chicken breasts and then shred into inch size pictures.  (You can also buy a Rotisserie chicken from the local Kroger or HEB and shred that as well)


Butter or olive oil
2/3 cup onion
2/3 cup carrots
2/3 cup celery
1.5 cup frozen peas
1/4 cup flour
1 can chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp oregeno, garlic, pepper, salt, other random seasonings that you have


Add about 3 tablespoons of olive oil into a skillet and heat on medium high heat.  Add diced onions, carrots, celery and spinces and cook for a few minutes until tender.  Add 1/4 cup of flour and stir constantly for a few minutes.  Now add chicken broth, frozen peas, and the beloved heavy cream.  Stir for a couple more minutes. 


Now grab those spices again and spice it up.  If you know me, you know that I have a TON of spinces and like to add alot!  Sometimes it isn't so good but this is one where you can add alot.  Pour mixture into the casserole dish.  Cover with the other half of the dough and crimp edges to make another pretty edge.  Cut 4 slits on the top.  Bake for 35 minutes at a preheated 400 degree oven.  Allow to cool about 5 minutes before serving.  Delish! 

No comments:

Post a Comment